Welcome messages (or "greetings") are used in several places in the system.
From the auto attendant’s IVR settings, you can configure the account so that you can control which announcement plays when callers reach the auto attendant. A single auto attendant can play up to five different messages at different times of the day. For each greeting, a service flag will be needed, and a corresponding greeting will need to be either uploaded as a WAV file or recorded using the Record Greeting (*98) star code.
To set up the auto attendant’s messaging system:
- Open the auto attendant account and click IVR:
- Enter your greeting into the system either by recording the message using the star code (*98) or by uploading it as a WAV file.
Recording the Greeting
Before an extension can record a greeting for an auto attendant account, the extension must have permission to do so. The permission setting can be found in the auto attendant account and is called Accounts that may record a message.
Once an extension has permission, greetings can be recorded using the Record Greetings star code (*98). They can also be uploaded as a WAV file by anyone with permission to access the account.
To record greetings using *98:
- From the telephone keypad, enter *98.
- Enter the auto attendant account number.
- Enter the greeting number followed by the star key (e.g., 1*).
- Press the confirm button. The greeting will automatically be assigned to that auto attendant. (Greetings are stored in the working directory.)
- Repeat these steps for each greeting, recording a new greeting each time (e.g., *2, *3, etc.). The greetings will appear in the Current File field as shown below:
Note: When a single greeting will be used for all calls, you do not need to specify a greeting number when using the *98 star code. This greeting is considered the default greeting and will not appear in the Current File field.
To record greetings by uploading WAV files:
- Using a recording device, record the greeting (use an 8 kHz mono, 16 bit file).
- Go to the auto attendant’s IVR tab and click Browse.
- Select the recorded file.
- Click Save.